You can download my CV, correct as of Jan 2017, here.
Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists (FRCPath) (2014).
PhD, King’s College London, UK (part-time) (2005-2011). ‘The molecular epidemiology of community-associated MRSA at a London Teaching Hospital’.
BSc (Hons) Microbiology (1st), University of Nottingham, UK (1998-2001).
Oct 15 – present: Imperial College London
I am an Honorary Senior Lecturer in the National Institute for Health Research Health Protection Research Unit (NIHR HPRU) in Healthcare Associated Infections and Antimicrobial Resistance at Imperial College London, which is situated with the Department of Medicine. Research interests include the epidemiology of MRSA, C. difficile and multidrug-resistant Gram-negatives, antibiotic and antiseptic resistance, the role of contaminated surfaces in transmission, and molecular typing methods including some recent dabbling in whole genome sequencing.
Apr 15 – present: Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, London
I am currently a senior manager for the Infection Prevention and Control Service. I lead a multidisciplinary team of 25 expert doctors, nurses, data scientists, technical experts, and administrators to deliver an Infection Prevention and Control service across a group of five hospitals in central London. Also tasked with implementing the findings of an ambitious research programme at Imperial College London in conjunction with Public Health England to improve clinical practice.
Mar 10 – Mar 15: Centre for Clinical Infection and Diagnostics Research (CIDR) (King’s College London / Guy’s and St. Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, London) (part-time)
I was a Research Fellow investigating the epidemiology of key healthcare-associated pathogens including MRSA, C. difficile, and resistant Gram-negatives.
Dec 02 – Mar 15: Bioquell UK Ltd, Andover, Hampshire, UK (part-time since 2005)
I was the Scientific Director of Bioquell’s Healthcare division, responsible for delivering a high-quality research programme evaluating the impact of Bioquell’s products in the healthcare setting.
May – Oct 07: Johns Hopkins Hospital, USA (secondment)
During this secondment I initiated a high-profile study, which demonstrated that Bioquell’s HPV product mitigates the increased risk from the prior room occupant (Passaretti et al. Clin Infect Dis 2013; 56:27-35).
May – Oct 05: Yale-New Haven Hospital, St. Raphael Campus, USA (secondment)
I was seconded to initiate a successful high-profile research project investigating the environmental and clinical impact of regular decontamination using Bioquell’s HPV product (Boyce et al. Infect Cont Hosp Epidemiol 2008;29:723-729).
Mar – Sept 03: St. Thomas’ Hospital, Department of Infection, London (secondment)
I was seconded to conduct an intervention study to investigate and compare the impact of conventional cleaning with Bioquell’s HPV product (French et al. J Hosp Infect 2004;57:31-37).
- Assistant Editor for the Journal of Hospital Infection (2011-2016).
- Member of the Healthcare Infection Society (HIS) Scientific Programme Committee (2015-present)
- Member of the Interclean Healthcare Forum planning committee (2016-present).
- Member of the Infection Prevention Society (IPS) Scientific Programme Committee (2010-2015).
- Visiting Professor at the Tokyo Healthcare University, Japan (2011-2012).
- IPS representative on the British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (BSAC) multiresistant Gram-negative bacterial infection Working Group.
- British Standards Institute (BSI) representative on a working group developing a European testing standard for airborne disinfection.
- Peer-reviewer for the Lancet, Lancet Infectious Diseases, British Medical Journal, Journal of Hospital Infection, Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, American Journal of Infection Control, Journal of Infection Prevention, Clinical Microbiology and Infection and the European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases.
- Member of the Healthcare Infection Society (HIS), Infection Prevention Society (IPS), Society for Healthcare Epidemiologists of America (SHEA) and the Association for Professionals in Infection Control (APIC).
- Author for EIDO Healthcare (patient information leaflets).
- Member of the expert panel for the International Scientific Forum on Home Hygiene (IFH).
GRANTS / AWARDS
- 2017. ‘Developing “smart” antimicrobial copper-based surfaces to reduce the transmission of antibiotic-resistant hospital pathogens’. EPSRC. Primary Investigator. £1k.
- 2014-2015. ‘Enhanced carbapenem-resistant organism surveillance.’ Guy’s and St. Thomas’ Charity. Primary investigator. £130k.
- 2014-2015. ‘Evaluation of community-based prevalence and transmission of antibiotic resistant Gram-negative bacteria.’ Guy’s and St. Thomas’ Charity. Co-applicant. £100k.
- 2014-2015. ‘Hydrogen Peroxide Vapor (HPV) Decontamination for Reuse of N95 Respirators‘. US FDA. Co-applicant. $450k.
- 2011-2012. ‘Epidemiology and virulence of CA-MRSA’. Pfizer Europe Aspire 2010 Investigator Award in Antibacterial Research. Primary investigator. £67k.
- 2009-2012. ‘Characterisation, molecular epidemiology and control of evolving strains of MRSA in a London Teaching Hospital and its local community.’ Guy’s and St. Thomas’ Charity. Co-applicant. £294k.
- 2005-2009. Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 PhD Fellowship. Primary investigator. 80k.